Search This Blog

Friday, June 24, 2011

Slanted Door - San Francisco, CA

My least favorite food in the world is Vietnamese food. It goes:

1. Japanese
2. Mexican
3. Korean
.
.
.
945. Indian
.
.
.
2031. Vietnamese

Maybe it traces back to the first time I had pho and I almost died while eating tripe. Maybe it’s because I’m not sure how much black and red sauce to add to my soup. Whatever it may be, I’m just not a fan.

But this is a fan of Vietnamese food.


That is, until I went to Slanted Door up in San Francisco. After that, everything changed.


Instead of giving you six more paragraphs of ridiculous stories and background, here’s what me and my friends got.

Ahi tuna tartare – to many, this may look pretty standard. And one might think it tastes pretty standard. It does taste pretty standard. That is if your level of standard is eating pure awesome.

this random spreckled chip is pretty dank too.

Crispy imperial rolls – these could be one of the most perfect rolls I’ve ever had. Super light and crispy skin, which huge chunks of chicken and vegetable inside seasoned ridiculously.


Shrimp, pork and shiitake mushroom dumplings – wrapped in some kind of rice paper, I was initially disappointed because usually stuff within rice paper tends to be on the mushy side. But these….oh man………honestly, if someone were to ask me what I’d want for the last meal of my life, this would be my appetizer. No joke. Well the joke might be that I actually want them for my main course for my last meal.


Braised duck legs – delicious all around. Nothing bad to say at all. I’m so glad they had a fowl dish with all dark meat. Or else it would’ve been four asian people fighting over who gets the leg.

Caramelized tiger prawns 



they had great texture and were incredibly delicious.

PROOOOOHNS.
And honestly after all our food was finished, they brought out my favorite dish of the evening:

Dungeoness crab cellophane noodles – I love cellophane noodles. And slanted door knows how to straight it kill it. Absolutely no idea what kind of seasoning they use, but the fact that they use dungy crab as the protein in here is pure amazingness.

Needless to say, Slanted Door has completely changed my view of Vietnamese food although I know any person who’s eaten here will tell me that it’s not real Vietnamese food. I don’t care though! It was crazy delicious!!!

Slanted Door is a great spot right on the bay to eat, drink, and make some awesome memories like I did.

Needless to say, my world was flipped. Slanted Door Vietnamese food is now in my top 6. At least.

Slanted Door on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Gastronomer said...

Aw, Kish... You're breaking my heart! Vietnamese food is my passion :-) I'm glad that Charles Pham is changing your mind a little!

Al said...

Are there really 2031 countries or cuisines? Anyway, glad to hear I don't need to call Wichita locksmith service just to unlock Slanted Doors. Thanks for the great review and recommendations.

Al said...

Are there really 2031 countries or cuisines? Anyway, glad to hear I don't need to call Wichita locksmith service just to unlock Slanted Doors. Thanks for the great review and recommendations.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...